Monday, December 26, 2011

Random Travel

 



Brilliant occurrences on the road…well mostly.
There are many highlights on any trip and some of the best are those you don’t really expect to see or that just bring a wry smile..or loud guffaw.
The roads in Kathmandu range from well formed and paved to things you need a winch and a 4WD to navigate, often changing within a very short distance. Spotted on my travels so far include a goat standing on top of a mini van as it drove along, the inevitable loaded elephant moving a lot faster than the traffic jammed cars and many temples and shrines. These range from the vast to the small shelter literally built on the footpath. It is such an enticing mix of exciting contrasts and different takes on the every day urban grind. 

There’s a few dance bars around in Thamel. I am damn scared of them as they have dancing (very nasty for someone who’s dance moves went out before they came in and who has the sense of rhythm of a disabled dozer) but the first one I saw has a sign which proudly advertises “Dance Bar with Shower” run, James, run…save yourself….on second thoughts…if the shower is hot..maybe I shouldn’t be so hasty to flee.
 
Political correctness and other wussy stuff like smoking being bad for your health hasn’t taken a big hold here yet. Last night I was sitting in a smoky Kathmandu bar, nursing a medicinal beer, listening to a Nepali band doing Doors, Creedence and Pink Floyd covers. I think I could get to like this place. It was even better as it was one of the places Anne & I came to in 2004 to watch the world go by.


















(Lhasa Bar –centre)
 
On the ‘truth in advertising’scale you can’t go past this shop..clearly selling goldfish …nah..maybe not. It’s almost enough to make you want to start smoking again. 

 
(Liquor & Fag Shop-Thamel –Genius!)

…and for the gentler souls amongst us I submit the following (….and I did)..although it does worry me that there seem to be more pashmina spun here than I was aware happened worldwide. 
 

..and, finally, just damn good value.

 

1 comment: